Sunday, November 18, 2007

The albertatory drops in

On my way back to the left coast, I made an impromptu stop in Calgary. Surely, it doesn't take much to bring me back to a city I so dearly love, but I dropped in for a very important reason.

Seven years ago at the PC AGM in Calgary, I met a young and ambitious lawyer (only a few years my senior) who had recently moved to the Stampede City from Regina. We became friends very quickly and have shared many good times as active conservatives over the years. We have been keenly aware of each other's ambitions of public service and, naturally, very supportive of them.

I am speaking of my friend Jonathan Denis who was contesting the PC Alberta nomination in Calgary Egmont. I know first hand how nerve-wracking the nomination process can be for a candidate and I wanted to be there for support and, hopefully, to celebrate.

As has been reported, Craig Chandler was the victor of the Egmont nomination. The results were, out of a total of 1670 ballots cast:

Craig Chandler - 945
Jonathan Denis - 485
Rick Smith - 227

Jonathan and his campaign team worked tirelessly in their cause and have every reason to be proud of their efforts. They spoke of a positive and inclusive vision and managed to attract a wide array of new members to our party. And, although I will not share the percentage, I was amazed at the number of people who honoured their committment to vote for Jonathan. If I had had the turnout of ID'd supporters that he did, I would be a Member of Parliament.

Much like my friend Mr. Denis, I will take the high road and congratulate Mr. Chandler on his victory. Speculation of what his candidacy will mean for our party is something that I will stay away from for the time being.

In the meantime, I tip my hat and say bravo to Jonathan for the supurb fight he put up.

Briefly in closing, I was very pleased with the results of the other nominations I was watching over the past week. Bill Donahue, Kyle Fawcett, and Arthur Kent will all get the chance to carry the PC torch in the next election. To them I also extend my sincere congratulations and look forward to watching their respective campaigns take shape.

More on the upcoming nominations tomorrow... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment