Friday, July 28, 2006

Back again

I know you are probably getting pretty tired of my apologies for lack of posting frequency on this blog. Still, it won't stop me from apologizing yet again.

The big move to BC is a little more than 3 weeks away now, so there's a lot of stuff that i'm starting to wind down and pack up here in Alberta.

That said, there are a number of things that are worth commenting on. Here they are in no particular order:

  • Many congratulations to my friend Kevin Geddert who, as we speak, is enjoying a wonderful honeymoon in Austria with his lovely bride Deirdre. I had the honour of being in the wedding party and serving as the emcee at their wedding last weekend in Banff. It was a great event all-around and I was glad I could be a part of it. Pictures, once downloaded, will be forthcoming.

  • The EUB hearings into Suncor's Voyageur project have now concluded. I have to say that if I were Suncor, I would be more than a little irked at having the hearings for my expansion project into the #1 venue for bitching and complaining about the things that are going on in the oilsands. From what I can gather, the politicians who made interventions brought little or nothing substantial to the table. It may have been lost on some that we elect people to fix problems, not complain about them. Its time for the 3 levels of government in this region to stop pointing fingers at others (or each other) and start dealing with the problems. In particular respect to the provincial government, I will again echo the comments of the provincial Liberal leader that it is not industry's job to build roads. It is industry's job to create employment and the opportunity for public revenue through taxation and royalties... IT IS GOVERNMENT'S JOB TO BUILD INFRASTRUCTURE.

  • I have been asked where I stand on the whole situation in the middle east. It is, of course, a complex and complicated affair which cannot be explained briefly. I have been trying to put my thoughts down in as diplomatic a manner as possible. That's an ongoing work, so I will summarize my basic stance: The root of this problem lies with Hezbollah. Until they are eliminated as a political and military force, a long-term solution cannot be reached. I applaud those who are taking a stand against these terrorists, and pray for innocent lives to be spared.

  • With that in mind, I am also EXCEPTIONALLY proud of Prime Minister Stephen Harper. It has been many a year since this country has had a Leader who will take a stand on issues of international importance, rather than ignoring them and thus lowering Canada's level of influence around the globe. I also thank each and every one of our men and women in uniform who are defending and protecting Canadian interests around the world.

That's about it for now. I'm around for a week or so before the next trip, and I may even try to blog from Vegas next weekend. Until then, shalom.

1 comment:

  1. Hey BR - re the EUB hearings - I totally agree with you on the politicizing the hearing process. We worked for 2 years with all three orders of government on a tripartite infrastructure agreement for Wood Buffalo. The senior administrations all sighed off on a deal, as did the RMWB and the feds politically. The Min of Municipal Affairs for Alberta at the time would not bring it forward for decision. Elections happened in all three orders and momentum was lost...it still could be done with political will.

    ReplyDelete