Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Here we go!

Today, my friend Jim Dinning officially launched his campaign to become Alberta's next Premier. I'm proud to stand with him.

Some I have talked to privately will know that I have been somewhat cynical about this whole race for the past little while. Perhaps it was the fact that the race was "on", but not really "on" that caused some impatience, or perhaps it was the fact that i'm moving in a few months and all of the things associated with that simply veered my attention elsewhere.

Whatever the case may be, I am once again excited about this race.

And, more importantly, I am reminded why I chose to back Jim in the first place.

I look forward to an Alberta where fiscal discipline will mean something... where spending won't grow at the astronomical rates we have become accustomed to... where 30% of oil and gas revenues will be put into our "rainy day" Heritage Fund... and where said Fund won't be touched unless its ACTUALLY "raining".

I look forward to an Alberta where Health Care is an issue that is tackled pragmatically, not ideologically... where vague machinations about third ways are replaced with a plan to get greater value for taxpayer dollars in the public system... where private delivery of public service is welcomed when practical... and where smoking is banned in public places to improve the lives and the health of all Albertans.

I look forward to an Alberta and a PC Party where democracy mean something... where those who are paid to lobby government can be identified as such in the interest of transparency... and where election campaigns are not run without a platform.

I look forward to an Alberta where innovation is embraced and encouraged... and where filling the current and anticipated labour shortage is a top-of-mind priority, not an afterthought.

I look forward to an Alberta led by Premier Jim Dinning.

If you think you'd like to see this kind of Alberta, join the team!

PS. If you're a Fort McMurray reader, he'll be in town on Monday, June 19th. Send me an email to albertatory@hotmail.com if you're interested in meeting Jim.

2 comments:

  1. Jason HickmanJune 21, 2006

    Jeeze, does Kevin Costner know that Jim "borrowed" his poster from Field of Dreams?

    Just kiddin', Blake. I'd have loved to see Preston get into the race, just for the ideas & fireworks, but it'll be interesting to see how the race plays out now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been exciting to see Preston enter the race, but Jim will do a great job in running Alberta. It makes for a sleepy leadership race though.

    To spice things up, how about Nancy MacBeth cross back over to the Tories to take another stab at the job she ran against Klein for?

    Otherwise, Pam Barrett could take a trip to her dentist and have another "out of body experience" -- all the way over to the Alberta PC Party!

    ReplyDelete